Sunday, May 17, 2009

Disposable Diaper Experiment

In a not-so-unusual turn of events, my son woke me up at one o'clock in the morning. He still hasn't figured out how to sleep through the night and I'm not bothered in the least by that fact. Any excuse to see him smile and cuddle him is fine with me.

Seeing he needed a diaper change I took him into the other room and there, on the floor, was a disposable diaper. It must have fallen out of the diaper bag on my way up the stairs or gotten knocked off the changing table by the cats. Whatever the reason, there it was.

My son hasn't been in a disposable diaper in some time. He usually ends up with a rash, but I wanted to see how it would hold up for the rest of the night with a wool cover over it.

I put him in the diaper, put the cover over it and we went back to bed.

Eight o'clock came and my son was fully awake. He cooed and kicked until I finally rolled over and to my not-so-surprise, I saw the spot on the bed.

I couldn't get mad because I kind of did this to myself, but I wanted to see exactly how much the wool cover had caught.

Let me just say, God bless wool.

From the outside there was one spot about the size of a silver dollar where both pee and poop had leaked through. It got on the sheets but thankfully was stopped by the wool pad between the sheets and the mattress.

I got him to the changing station, pulled off the cover and was rather put-off by finding at least four places on the cover that were just slathered in poop and wet with pee, his legs and waist were just covered.

I didn't even bother whipping him off. He went straight from the changing table to the bathtub.

Needless to say, I also had some wool washing to do as well.

I've heard a lot of people say that they continue to use disposables at night because they work better than cloth. I haven't had to change my sheets because of a cloth diaper leak in a very long time but I can't remember the last time I put him in a disposable and I HAVEN'T had to change the sheets.

In short, I'm really grateful I had that wool cover over him or it would have been so much worse. Thank goodness for cloth and wool.

No comments:

Post a Comment